Do I Need an Internet Security Suite?
An “Internet Security Suite” is a security program installed on your computer or mobile device that operates to protect your personal information while you are connected to the internet.
Antivirus programs are designed to protect your computer from harmful pieces of code that pose a threat to your personal information and files. This is done by scanning your computer on a regular basis for potential threats and scanning new files as they are added. When a threat is identified, it is either quarantined or removed completely, depending on the situation.
What is an Internet Security?
Internet security suites do very much the same, but extend their protection to the online world. Once you are connected to the internet, even before you open your browser or use any web-based software, your computer and personal information is vulnerable to threats. More and more threats invisibly appear as you continue to use your email, visit websites, shop online, post on social media, and more.
These threats come in the form of phishing websites and emails that attempt to trick you into giving them personal information and access to banking accounts. Emails can also trick you into downloading harmful files that can grant an outsider access to your computer and private files. Even on social media, there may be malicious links in your news-feed that you don’t know are dangerous.
Providing a personal firewall the Internet Security Suite grants an intense protection against these threats from the moment you connect to the internet. It then warns you of potential phishing threats in your email, filters spam, and prevents you from clicking on social media feeds or search engine results that may direct you to malicious website.
Today, most internet security suits include an antivirus which makes them a comprehensive solution for all of your security needs.
What Internet Security Features are Necessary to Have?
There are two types of features to look for when buying an internet security suite – the “must have” features and the “nice to have” features.
The features you MUST have are:
- Email Protection – which will protect you from malicious files and potential phishing attacks.
- Social Media Protection – will ensure that you don’t click on any malicious links in your newsfeed and browse articles and posts safely.
- Safe Browsing – The Safe Browsing feature will let you know what sites are safe and what sites are dangerous when you use search engines.
- Personal Firewall – The moment you connect to the internet, you are vulnerable to potential hackers who can access your network. A firewall prevents that from happening.
The Nice-to-Have features are:
- Spam Filter – Filters out spam from your email.
- Parental Control – Controls what websites your kids can visit and at what times.
How Do I Choose the Right Internet security suite?
Before choosing a security suite you need to:
- Read the features of the security suite carefully to ensure that it can properly protect you.
- Make sure that the security suite you are interested is compatible with the devices you are using.
- Read reviews to see what others have to say.
Having an Internet Security Suite installed on your device is the best way to ensure online virus prevention. Always keep in mind that there are many virus types out there just waiting for an opportunity to hack and cause damage to our computer systems when all we do is surf the net and check our emails. Equipping yourself with the strongest online protection may be the wisest thing to do. Always remember to go over all the MUST HAVE features and installation process carefully to make sure your new Internet security suite operates with highest intensity as it should. Have a happy and safe surfing!